Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class and their Role and Responsibility in Instance and Dungeons
Exclamation 
Before i begin i just wanna say hope this info is impt and useful for those who are reading the forum.

Since i am a lock, i will begin about what a lock is expected to play in a instance and his/her role and responsibility.

WARLOCK

Main role can be Damange Per Second(DPS), Adds control depending on instance and group combination and Crowd control(CC). I will share about DPS first then Adds control and Crowd Control in the later part.

Dps lock in instance

- For DPS, get a dps pet out such as Succubus or Imp depending on your play style and confort, imp run out of mana fast but have a good stamina (sta) buff Big Grin. Succubus can pretty much take care of herself as she can ask the enemy to target someone else(Soothing Kiss). Demo locks that are fully spec can use felguard as well.

-DOT!!! Remeber locks are scary for their Damage Over Time(DOT) spells so spam them!!! Take note what dot cycle finish and redo them over and over, the little damage over time can cause quite a difference in the bosses fights especially the longer ones. The longer the fight is the more a lock shines in this area.

-Nuking, Spaming Shadowburn, Shadow Bolts, Conflagrate, Soul Fire, Incinerate and searing pain etc etc. This is to be done on a regular cycle over and over again ON TOP of the usual DOTs.

-Speaking of high damage there is a downside which locks must take note. Higher damage = Higher Threat. Threat cause aggro that make the enemy wanting to target you. Casters(mage, lock, shaman) or melee dps should always bear this in mind and don't let the high damage of yours be a 1 sided fun. This could make the boss target you who is wearing cloth and if the Main Tank(MT) is not able to generate a higher threat or aggroing the boss or emeny, your death in boss fight might mean lesser over all dps or worst total group wipeout!!!

-This is what I do to control aggro and what everyone should do if you deal too much damage and boss is targeting you. Casters should pause their nuking at some point to slow down and lower my damage output to lower their threat level and allow the MT to get more threat. Bombing the enemy with endless spells is not always benifical. In case when caster are nuking far more then usual and boss starting to target the caster. The caster should stop all damage and nukes and stand still to let MT take aggro back or at least run to the MT to help the warrior or druid out. Failure of doing so and relie on healer to back you up shows a bad dps user. This might cause the healer more stress and more trouble occurs later.

Lock as adds control in instance

- A strong summon is advised for example demo spec, felguard or a high dps Succubus will be better as they can kill the smaller adds on their own while you do the nuking or dots on the bigger ones.

- For lower level instance I normally will ask my felguard to tank 2 enemies while i target 1 enemy myself.

- In cases of alot of smaller and lower level adds rushing out, You can mass Seed Of Corruption(SOC / seed) them but bear i mind that will aggro the whole group to target you if they do not die after those seed of corruption explode!!

Lock as Crowd Control(CC) in instance

- Most often hunter's Freezing Trap or Mage's Polymorph will be the main CC in instance. In some cases when you are facing a bigger group of enemy, lack of mage or hunter for CC or even a bad pull, a Succubus is capable of Seducing the enemy (Seduction).

- In the recent Ross article he mention about a new marco known as focus . This helps the lock players to have quicker hands and less stress on CC purpose. Read up HERE.

-Be prepare to re-seduce / re-charm your CC target because normally the main enemy will last longer then 15 seconds.

Dos and DON'Ts in instance as a lock

- Do remember to cast more DOTs
- Do remember to put curse of shadow if there is a shadow priest or more then 1 lock around.
- Do remember to create soulwell for the party members so all wil have a healthstone to eat during battle needs.
- Do remember to SoulStone your party main healer so in case of a wipeout, he can self res and res the whole party.
- Do remember to use life tap and drainlife at time to time to maximize your damage output without having the trouble of running out of mana in early boss fights.

- DON'T aoe for fun or whenever you see alot of tiny enermies, chances are they will run to u and hit you nonstop till u die and u cannot cast any damaging spell due to the spell cast bar's disruption. Silly but I seen lvl 60+ locks doing this stupid move.
- DON't FEAR the enemy in a instance unless you can control the distance and direction they run. Chances are they will run into another group and you will end up fighting more then you need or plan to.
- In case of some instance's short cuts. You are required to jump off from heights or to different platforms or into water to avoid fighting extra enemy. Remember to dismiss your summon first, as they do not jump with you and they will end up taking the long route and aggro enemy in his path. My common mistake Big Grin
For holy paladin (healer spec), the main role is to heal the party. However as the paladin is a combat healer, the usage of spells or playing style / role may be different from a priest.

The notes below are copy and paste from another website.

(A) Aura
In addition to spell buffs, a Paladin can also boost their group's abilities through the use of Auras. Multiple paladins can use different Auras within a group (although two Paladins using the same Aura gain no additional effect). The different Auras are as follows:

•Devotion Aura: Gives additional 55/160/275/390/505/620/735/861 armor to nearby party members.

•Concentration Aura: Gives 35% chance of ignoring spell casting delays caused by damage to nearby party members.

•Shadow Resistance Aura: Increases the group's shadow resistance to 30/45/60/70.
(type: Protection; first acquired at level 28; 4 ranks)
•Frost Resistance Aura: Increases the group's frost resistance to 30/45/60/70.
(type: Protection; first acquired at level 32; 4 ranks)
•Fire Resistance Aura: Increases the group's fire resistance to 30/45/60/70.
(type: Protection; first acquired at level 36; 4 ranks)

(B) Blessings are spell buffs that can be used on the paladin or other characters. Most can be cast on any friendly but some are limited to the paladin's party. Blessings last 5 minutes unless noted.
The different Blessings are as follows:
•Blessing of Might increases melee attack power by 25/35/55/85/115/155/185/220

Blessing of Protection grants immunity to physical damage for 6/8/10 seconds (party member only) – generally view as a shield which will stop aggro from mobs. Suggest to increase the time to 10 sec (and to reduce cooldown time) through talent points for holy paladin.

Blessing of Wisdom grants 10/15/20/25/30/33/41 mana each 5 seconds. Suggest to increase the mana regen through talent points for holy paladin.

Blessing of Freedom grants immunity to movement impairing effects for 10 seconds and frees target from said effects (e.g. fear). I find this more useful in pvp than in instances.

Blessing of Salvation grants a 30% reduction in threat generation

Blessing of Light increased heal made by Holy Light by 210/300/400/580 and Flash of Light by 60/85/115/185

Blessing of Kings grants +10% to all attributes

Greater Blessings are longer-lasting, easier to buff versions of normal blessings. Greater blessings last for 15 minutes and will buff members of the group of the same class as your target. Requires 1 Symbol of Kings (reagant) per each blessing cast and requires the highest rank of corresponding normal blessing in order to be trained.
Each player can only have one type of blessing on him at one time. For greater blessings, it will apply for players of same class.

I will normally give blessing of salvation to casters such as warlocks and mages, priest, blessing of kings to MT, blessing of king / might to melee dps, blessing of wisdom to mages, priest, holy paladin (myself).  

© A holy paladin also has the following heals:-

1) Holy Light – 2.5 sec cast heal
2) Flash of Light – Quickly Heals a friendly target by a moderate amount. Flash of Light is one of the most mana-efficient heals in-game, and that efficiency increases even more when used on a target with Blessing of Light.
3) Lay on Hands - Sacrifices all of the Paladin's mana to heal your target of an amount equal to your maximum HP. Restores mana as well at higher ranks. The cooldown period is minimum 40mins (even after improve through talent points), thus best to reserve for boss fights.
4) Holy Shock – can be use to deal damage or to heal party members (immediate). For healing, I find that the amount is smaller than the other type of heals.
5) Seal of Light – Heal paladin by hitting on the enemy
6)Divine Favor - When activated, gives your next Flash of Light, Holy Light, or Holy Shock spell a 100% critical effect chance.

(D) Other abilities useful for holy pally:-

1)Divine protection / divine shield - The Paladin becomes immune to all attacks for a few seconds. Can only be use on paladin. Can reduce cooldown period through talent points.
2)Turn undead – Fear away undeads. Effective when there are no nearby mobs.
3)Cleanse - One of the more diverse debuff removal abilities, Cleanse will remove removes 1 poison, 1 disease and 1 magic effect from a friendly target. If multiple debuffs of the same type are affecting the target, additional Cleanses will be necessary.
4) Hammer of Justice - Gives the Paladin the strength to stun a hostile target for up to 6 seconds. Useful to allow you to heal without interruption or to flee. This stun is one of the most flexible in the game, as it will not break due to damage or other spells being cast on the target, nor does it cause any amount of threat when used.

Tips for instances:
1.When buffing start by buffing yourself and then the rest of the party, that way you will know that when your blessing runs out it's time to buff everyone again.
2.Flash of Light is mana efficient. Holy Light is time efficient (despite the 2.5 second cast). While Flash of Light may constitute the majority of your heals, consider using Holy Light in emergency situations.
3.Do not cast Blessing of Protection on tanks - even if it seems like they will die (unless some strategy requires it). It is generally ok to cast protection on a melee DPS class, however, make sure to give them a different blessing (to erase the effect) once they are healed. It is almost always ok to cast Blessing of Protection on a caster.
Tanks will almost always get Blessing of Light. The only exception of this is the rare occurrence that the Paladin will not be the primary healer, as Blessing of Light only benefits Paladin healing. As an alternative, use Blessing of Kings to increase the tank's health and other stats, or use Blessing of Might for more attack power.

Paladins have a huge amount of crit to their Holy Light spells when they spec into the holy tree. Holy paladins have a far better ability to spam rank 4 Holy Light on tanks that have Blessing of Light. Even with the down ranking nerf, this is still the most healing per mana. Holy Light also has around 23% crit depending on gear.

The paladin is a combat healer. They spam Flash of Light (FoL), raid/group wide, in an effort to keep their teammates alive. With that in mind, be intelligent about how you heal and what various levels of FoL one can use to get the job done. The advantage of a healadin over a priest is that he wears plate armor (thus can endure more hits), use various blessings to support the group.
The laughable part of the story is that the plate armour that supports healing are as paper thin as cloth. Plus, Casters are more likely to take you down with their hard hitting spells that bypass plate. Any paladins that are targetted by casters should immediately take a hammer to them. Anyway, some pallies take cloth and leather gear to boost their Heals. (I use Druid healing gloves, Priest belt, and at one point, shaman leggings...)

Paladins are superb single target healers. If the tank is good, there is very little wastage of mana; just spam Holy Light when tank is about a third down.

Problem is when the tank suddenly becomes mortal struck and cannot heal properly/ hp dropping too fast for Holy light. My tip in that instance is do 2 quick flash heals before Holy light. Other method is activate the sure-crit and Holy Shock your tank. With good + healing I hit a crit of 2k before. As good as a defib in CPR (Clear! Bzzp!)

Improved Blessing of Wisdom: new talent that I tried to pick up: will give 49 mana per tick. Almost = to 1.5 times healer mana pool. With this talent, can go more for + heal gear. Otherwise, need to take note of intellect.

Downside to Pallies are that they have no HoTs or AOE heals. Means that many a time you have to decide quickly who you want to LOSE. Many straight-forward cases, pp will heal the tank and lose the dps: higher chance of survival. This is not true for many cases though, cos the tank can take more damage for a longer period of time, so do sneak in some love for your clothies. I tend to heal locks cos gives them more life for Life-Tap when mana runs low (Though they always make me lose face by being the only member without 100% hp Tongue). Keeps up the DPS and drops the boss much faster = less healing.

Food for thought.
Alcaine Wrote:The laughable part of the story is that the plate armour that supports healing are as paper thin as cloth. Plus, Casters are more likely to take you down with their hard hitting spells that bypass plate. Any paladins that are targetted by casters should immediately take a hammer to them.

Yup against casters, we have almost no defense. Normally if i am attacked by caster mage, i will try to stun him so that can spare a moment for healing. In addition it does not increase the threat. After the stun, it also give time for the tank and off tank to move off to this target.

Alcaine Wrote:Paladins are superb single target healers. If the tank is good, there is very little wastage of mana; just spam Holy Light when tank is about a third down.

Problem is when the tank suddenly becomes mortal struck and cannot heal properly/ hp dropping too fast for Holy light. My tip in that instance is do 2 quick flash heals before Holy light. Other method is activate the sure-crit and Holy Shock your tank. With good + healing I hit a crit of 2k before. As good as a defib in CPR (Clear! Bzzp!)

Improved Blessing of Wisdom: new talent that I tried to pick up: will give 49 mana per tick. Almost = to 1.5 times healer mana pool. With this talent, can go more for + heal gear. Otherwise, need to take note of intellect.

Downside to Pallies are that they have no HoTs or AOE heals. Means that many a time you have to decide quickly who you want to LOSE. Many straight-forward cases, pp will heal the tank and lose the dps: higher chance of survival. This is not true for many cases though, cos the tank can take more damage for a longer period of time, so do sneak in some love for your clothies. I tend to heal locks cos gives them more life for Life-Tap when mana runs low (Though they always make me lose face by being the only member without 100% hp Tongue). Keeps up the DPS and drops the boss much faster = less healing.

Food for thought.

I agree with you.

Usually if the tank is able to take damage well, we will have more time to heal others (then come back to tank). However, if tank also took a lot of damage or Hp drop v fast, will have to concentrate on tank thus losing other members.

Most of the time that result in not able to heal the tank properly is when too many mobs attack me - lose concentration. If switch to conc aura, basically will lose a lot of hp (due to melee attack by mob). If switch to devotion aura, hp will not drop so fast (can tolerate more hits frm mob) but healing may be disrupted.

In addition, when using holy light as it is a 2.5 sec cast, healadin has to judge how much and when to click the button. Becos by the time it is cast, the tank hp may have dropped too much.

Being a healer is difficult, always the scapegoat and blamed for wipes or problems. However, most of the time, no one noticed that it is bec' the healer is attacked (thus not able to heal well) or due to poor grp comb or other reasons.
Some comments on warlock tactics.

Pets: Nowadays with my 7/7/47 build I prefer to have my imp out (especially since my hp has been gimped by +crit gear), except when I have cc duties, in which case I will have my succy. Felhunter only comes out to play during pvp.

The reason for this is that my pets die too quickly in dungeons. I think the only viable combat pet in 70 dungeons is felguard. Even then, it's too fragile for heroics. For succy, it usually dies in normal 70 dungeons before I even realise its under attack. -_-

The role of DOTs
DOTs are very important to locks, and even more so for affliction spec locks. But one impt point to note, as kio mentioned, is that it is very good for long boss fights, as this is where affliction locks turn in their report cards. Conversely, the numbers do not show up as much on trash mobs, since they tend to go down before dots run their course. So my advice to aff locks is to help nuke trash mobs with your shadowbolts to help them go down more quickly, then bring out your A-game dots for the longer fights.

In heroics, this is somewhat different, since all trash mobs take a while to die. In these cases, it's completely viable to do dot cycles on heroic trash mobs.
I agree that any pet other then a felguard in lvl 70 instance is a joke. Other then imp for sta buff or succy for cc purpose. none of the pets can actually fight 1 grp of trash mob without dying.

One thing i see alot of warlocks NOT doing when running with others in instance is not healing their own pet and they depend on healer to heal their pets. This is a big NO NO!!! this not only put stress on healer and might cause more risk to the tanker at times. Locks should health funnel own pet at times to keep it up and not relie on healer to heal a "summon". Demon spec lock can recast felguard in 0.5 sec so its not a big deal even if felguard dies on instance.

Healing lock's pet is optional IMO. is the lock's responsibility to do the own healing Big Grin. Next I wanna talk about life tapping. Locks high dps mainly relie on endless mana thru life tapping spell. This convert Health --> Mana. This skill will drain locks hitpoint but makes the dps last longer and thus faster boss kills in instances. Again Overdoing of this skill puts healer in stress.

I cannot stress enough how important is a healer and tanker role in instance. So healing a lock that spam life tap is secondary, a tanker's hp always comes first. So in order to prolong the health to mana useage, i would suggest making healthstone in the middle of boss fight during cooldown of nuking and ticking of dots. It won't take long to cast a healthstone for yourself but it allow you(lock) to further life tap without worrying the healer have no time to heal you in time. Anyway lock should be mostly outside boss damage range so take the time and do deathcoil on adds and trashs and drain life on them so u can further lifetap using ur own health Big Grin

This is what I do in Bm if the healer is busy, simple things like this helps alot in long fights esp in BM. Since lock need unlimited amount of hitpoint healing for endless life tap for mana to nuke in long fights, this is where shadow priest's Vampiric Embrace shines!!! Think about this Vampiric Embrace Afflicts your target with Shadow energy that causes all party members to be healed for 15% of any Shadow spell damage you deal for 60 sec. The higher dps the shadow priest deal, the more bonus hitpoints you get healed on top of the healer thats healing you.

Furthermore, locks can curse of shadow to help a shadow priest's shadow damage to be even higher thus your healing is increased AGAIN!! Big Grin Is like endless health and mana in a long fight instance. I hope all locks have the chance to try this combination in Black Moras Big Grin
Oh not to forget locks can enslave and banish demons in instance. Mech will make full use of a lock and test a lock's skill to the limit where a lock is suppose to banish, seduce and enslave at times.

Hope to see a hunter to share on a hunter's role in instance. Laying trap the right way, pulling mob to traps, adds control and MISDIRECTION!!! I heard this is a GREAT skill to start in high lvl boss fight to misdirect the threat to a tanker so the fight will not go wrong even right from the start Big Grin

Also wish to read about how warrior and druid aggo boss and pump the threat lvl so they can be tanking for most of the time, knowing which skill and spells deal high aggro is impt in this case. Knowing which boss is resist to taunt and other aggo skills are impt as well Big Grin
Misdirection is a great skill for a tank who cannot pull aggro... eg. holy paladins who think they can tank :/
Good healers will still be able to slip in a heal or two for their locks esp when the lock's mana & hp are low. All they have to do is watch the threat... can do so very well with KLH Threatmeter. Can't download from the usual website though, those interested have to search curse gaming for the updated mod.
My limited contribution

I have noticed that, If you have the succy out there is no need dismiss when you jump. - she has wings Smile
at least that is what I have noticed - can someone confirm this?

I have noticed in my last few runs (since speccing Destro) that I run out of mana during boss fights.
Therefore I have to life tap and or take a Mana pot. Even the best mana pot only brings my mana back up by a third - that and the 2min cooldown mean I am life tapping every 4th cast of my shadowbolt. How miss Dark Pact and Imp Sad

Because I leveled with Aff - I never took up first aid - it was really unnessesary because DP gave me heaps of mana and my life drain meant I could drain life faster than most mobs (not bosses) could hurt me. Now my life drain cannot keep up with damage anymore. so first aid is going to have to happen for me.

re health stones -I believe you can carry a healthstone of each level (of course Lvl 1's are usless) but 3 work pretty good in descending order.

great input so far guys - thank you