Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPS Classes [Share your tricks]
Have been looking up ways to improve dps in instances, and come across a very, very interesting macro.

This is the /stopcasting macro.

At first glance, I thought there can't be a dumber macro than this. Why wld I want a button to stop casting? When my spell is cast, it will stop casting by itself, no? Tongue

Having looked into it a little further, I'm convinced this will help anyone with more than 400ms latency.

To begin with, you may notice that your 2-second spell sometimes take longer than 2s to cast. Or if you start casting another spell before you have finished casting this spell, it actually registers. Or you move before you finish casting a spell, and the spell still goes off. All these are signs that your latency is affecting your spell casting time.

A latency of 400ms essentially means that you may lose 0.4s per spell cast due to lag. A latency of 500-600ms (what I usually get) means you lose 0.5s standing there casting a spell you've already cast (according to game mechanics).

Others have explained the concept of the /stopcasting macro better than I can, so I'll just link the relevant sites where they have these discussions. In short, download Quartz and set up a /stopcasting macro. Get used to making use of it. Smile

http://elitistjerks.com/f32/t12079-how_u...imize_dps/
Another prominent aspect that keeps popping up in discussions is spell hit rating. For the uninitiated, mobs with a level difference above you have a higher chance of resisting your spells. E.g. when you're lvl 70, a lvl 71 mob has a 5% chance of resisting your spell, and a lvl 73 mob (raid bosses) has a 16% chance to resist your spells.

Spell hit rating mitigates this resistance. As all mobs have an inherent resistance (1%) that cannot be mitigated by hit rating, a good hit rating to aim for is 15%, or 200 hit rating. This is, from what I understand, especially true for classes that depend heavily on nukes and crits. Resisted spell = zero damage/ irrelevant crit.

How +hit should balance with +dmg/crit remains a pretty complicated algorithm. I'll be trying out various permutations to see what's the most ideal balance.

Cheers